China, Me, Camille, Daniel

I had a great birthday but it was definitely an adult birthday. My sweet husband made me breakfast (oh and he did sing Happy Birthday at 6:18am...almost the exact time of my birth - 6:12am) before dashing off to church meetings at 7am. (For anyone who doesn't know I am a widow to the bishopric) Then I got Talia and myself ready for church while finishing my lesson for Young Womens. I usually go early so I can get a hug and a kiss from Preston before church starts. Meetings went as usual and then I went home changed clothes and gathered a few things I needed, had a chat with my parents, and of course a birthday serenade, and then headed over to my in laws house. My mother-in-law made a beautiful meal and even made a round birthday cake with frosting and homemade ice cream. The ice cream was superb! Preston made it just in time for the dishes...around 5pm, after counting tithing etc. We opened a few very thoughtful presents (Preston gave me tickets to The Little Mermaid on Broadway which has come to Denver this summer. I am very excited!) and played some games. It was a great day! At the end of the day I thought about how I felt when I was a kid after each birthday...I always felt like a princess for a day, like everything would stop if I gave the word. This birthday was wonderful but more important was that I took care of my baby and my obligations at church. It is not that I feel bad about this very ordinary day that just happened to be my birthday but I think I am finally a real honest to goodness adult.
I had a great birthday but it was definitely an adult birthday. My sweet husband made me breakfast (oh and he did sing Happy Birthday at 6:18am...almost the exact time of my birth - 6:12am) before dashing off to church meetings at 7am. (For anyone who doesn't know I am a widow to the bishopric) Then I got Talia and myself ready for church while finishing my lesson for Young Womens. I usually go early so I can get a hug and a kiss from Preston before church starts. Meetings went as usual and then I went home changed clothes and gathered a few things I needed, had a chat with my parents, and of course a birthday serenade, and then headed over to my in laws house. My mother-in-law made a beautiful meal and even made a round birthday cake with frosting and homemade ice cream. The ice cream was superb! Preston made it just in time for the dishes...around 5pm, after counting tithing etc. We opened a few very thoughtful presents (Preston gave me tickets to The Little Mermaid on Broadway which has come to Denver this summer. I am very excited!) and played some games. It was a great day! At the end of the day I thought about how I felt when I was a kid after each birthday...I always felt like a princess for a day, like everything would stop if I gave the word. This birthday was wonderful but more important was that I took care of my baby and my obligations at church. It is not that I feel bad about this very ordinary day that just happened to be my birthday but I think I am finally a real honest to goodness adult.




10 comments:
I still get excited about birthdays, even my own. But I think that comes from Shawn's lack thereof. His family didn't really celebrate things in a exciting way. My mom always made a big deal about letting us chose our favorite dinner, and making us our own ice cream cake. Each kind origianl to the person (mine was always Oreo). Although I, too, feel as though I have passed into adulthood in regaurds to my own and Shawn's birthday. It is another passing year in my adult life, which I am honestly grateful for. Because growing up as one of the youngest, I have always been referred to as a "little girl". I am now a mother of three, wife to a charming husband, and homemaker.
Happy Birthday, Shanda!! Your celebration sounded fun!!
YOu are so right on. My birthday has become just another day and that for the most part is just fine. Anthony always makes me feel special and then the day moves on. Most of the time I don't even get a cake but I always get dessert at whatever restaraunt I choose to eat at. Happy Birthday Shanda, the big 27!!! Life moves on without our permission doesn't it?
Ohhhh the big 27!? Yikes, I am heading up the latter to the big 28 here in a few months. Sounds like you had an extra special day and were treated like a queen! Chocolate cake is my favorite, how lucky!
Well Shanda, isn't it amazing what a small world it is? When I had a chance to glance at your blog I was happy to see a familiar face from long ago. It looks like you are happy and have a great little family. I am glad! I hope you had a great birthday, from a friend of long ago.
Happy Birthday! Isn't it funny how when we get older bithdays just seem to come and go? Sometimes I even forget how old I am. But I must agree with Emily, chocolate it my favorite, what a lucky girl.
Yeah, I sometimes forget how old I am... but I never forget about my birthday and even though it is probably selfish, I demand a fuss made over myself, as you can all note on my blog from my last birthday the festivities lasted about a week and a half. I highly recomend it. But I do reciprocate, Adam and Michael both get birthday weeks too. We are all about the birthdays at this house. Happy B-Day Shanda!! You get more beautiful every year. Good job Preston what a great gift... I want to go see the little mermaid, I wonder if they are coming to Phoneix too.
hey, did you decide what to do with your hair? I just remember the long conversation going back and forth on here and wondered if you made a choice.
Happy Birthday, Shanda!
Haven't seen or heard from you in too long (like 10 years!) Happy Birthday Shanda! I am going to be 28 tommorow, and I'm pretty sure it's not going to be that exciting either, but that's Ok. Sometimes I'd rather forget how old I am anyway!
I ran into Liz and she told me about her blog and I found you. You have such a cute family! Congratulations! It's so fun to see and read about you!
I am living in Salt Lake now and working as a speech therapist at an elementary school, and visiting Prescott for a few weeks this summer (which is where I saw Liz). I'm not married, in case you were wondering, but my sister Julianne is getting married on August 5th. Anyway, gave a great day!
Thanks for all the birthday wishes!
Jennifer! How crazy! I never thought you would see my blog but I am glad that you did! It is good to hear that you are doing well! My nieces still talk about when they got to ride your horses! I can't believe that Julianne is getting married. I remember her being so little but I guess everyone grows up sooner or later!
Post a Comment