Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, August 07, 2008

The Birth of Our Baby Boy

Alright everyone since Shanda has been given direct orders to remain upstairs from her mid-wife thus limiting her access to blog this post is being created by her other half. Therefore before you can proceed you must read the following disclaimer:

Please read all instructions and warnings before use. Must be 18 years of age or older to proceed further. Enter at your own risk. Do not enter. Void where prohibited by law. Any resemblance to persons living or dead is purely coincidental. Use only as directed. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Website contains small parts and is not intended for use by children under the age of eighteen. Times are approximate. Do not disturb. Simulated pictures. Please remain seated until the ride comes to a complete stop. In the event of decreased air pressure, oxygen masks will pop out of the top of your monitor. Reader assumes full responsibility. If any defects are discovered, do not attempt to fix them yourself, but return to an authorized service center. Read at your own risk. Parental advisory - explicit lyrics. Text may contain explicit materials some readers may find objectionable, parental guidance is advised. Blogger is also not responsible for items left, lost or stolen. Filmed in front of a live, studio audience. Discontinue use if nausea or dizziness occurs. Actual size not shown. This article does not reflect the thoughts or opinions of either myself, my company, my friends, or my cat. Don't quote me on that. Don't quote me on anything. All rights reserved. Patent pending. This disclaimer may not be copied or reproduced in any form without the expressed written consent of whoever I stole it from.

Now that we have gotten that out of the way let's proceed. ( After this post I am sure Shanda will change her log in info.)

As many of you know we have been expecting the birth of our baby boy any day know. I say we ......as if I were pregnant. Shanda has been experiencing contractions for the better part of week and a half so Wednesday August 6th started out like any other day during this hurry up and wait saga. During lunch the phone rang...I answered...'Hello?'

"Hello!", replies the young female voice on the other end.
'How are you?', I quiz still not sure if I am talking to one of Shanda's friends, a niece I've never spoken with, or a rouge telemarketer off script.

"Is Milo there?", she unabashedly asks.
My mind begins to race. Wait a minute how does she know we are about to have a son who we are planning on naming Milo? Is this one of Shanda's family members playing a joke? Perhaps it is a phone call from the future bounced off of the northern lights. Oh dear.... maybe it is a call from the people upstairs checking in to see if Milo's arrived yet.
'Excuse me?'
"Oh, I'm sorry I have the wrong number." Click.......

This is the stuff the twilight zone is made out of.

After lunch, a trip to Home Depot, a walk to the park with Talia and myself, and a ton of jumping jacks, Shanda began to feel that today was the day. Okay I didn't make her do jumping jacks instead we mud wrestled.

When we were looking into birthing options before Talia's birth we decided to have a home water birth. Her birth was such a beautiful experience for us there was no doubt in our mind with this one we were going to do the same thing. It is at this point I could go into a long rant of home birth versus in the hospital however this is certainly not the time nor place. Let me just say I feel blessed that we have the option to chose. Here is Shanda laboring on the birthing ball.




Shanda's contractions had increased in frequency and length to the point that Shanda summoned her midwife who arrived around 7:45 pm. That is when the games began.



Literally.......This is Shanda, her father, Jan our midwife, and myself playing sequence. Yes, there were many delays in our game due to frequent trips to the bathroom and contractions, but we had fun.



Finally things had progressed to the point that Shanda got into the pool of warm water.



The water provides several key functions. One, it allows the mother a cooping method when dealing with contractions. Two, it helps the mother relax assisting in the delivery. Finally, the water provides a warm peaceful environment for the baby to enter into the world.


Shanda labored in the pool for several hours. Here I have to shower my wife with accolades. She used HypnoBirthing a process which teaches relaxation methods to help cope with the labor and birth. She never screamed, she never cried out. When intense contractions came the only way you could tell was her breathing intensified. Labor was longer this time than it was with Talia but she only pushed for 8 minutes when the time came.


So here is Milo Hansen Hickman....7lbs. 5oz. and 19 1/2" long. Both mother and child are doing well.







12 comments:

Anonymous said...

congrats!!! you are amazing. glad to hear you're both doing well. looking forward to more picts!

***LIZ*** said...

Yay! Good job Shanda! What a handsome little guy. And I love his name!

Phil and Ronnie said...

Congratulations to you both! What an adorable little guy!

Heather said...

Congratulations Shanda, the comment about his rant over home birth vs hospital was interesting. I could argue with him :) I know all kinds of things. I won't for the sake of both of our sanities. Good job though, you rock.

A Guy,A Girl, And a Max said...

Congratulations! The baby looks adorable!

holley family said...

hey! you and sarah had your babies on the same day! hoorah! congratulations and he's so sweet!

holley family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Disco Mom said...

Congratulations, guys. We are so happy for you and I'm glad the birth went so well. He's so sweet and I'm putting up a welcome on my blog for him. Care package coming soon...

Mily said...

congrats guys! I'm so glad that all of you are doing well! Welcome little Milo!

Emily said...

He's precious! Congrats to both of you! I am glad that everything went well and everyone is happy and healthy! ;)

The Mad Planter, LLC - Lorrin Wagner said...

Congratulations! That is so wonderful and the home birth looks incredible just like everyone I have ever spoken to who did the same. We were supposed to do the birthing center (like a home but not ours and no mess). Unfortunately we never made it and the front seat had to make do and then the trip to the hospital followed as well. This looks much nicer especially for such a long time! Good job and Milo is adorable, how does the big sis like him?

Ketsy said...

I know this is old, but I just got to read it and I love it! Congratulations and good for you and all the best! Beautiful!